Search "Growing"

Friday, March 18, 2011

18 weeks




22 weeks to go!


I started off the day feeling awesome (besides allergies), but I'm sad to report that I did a premature happy dance. Jonathan's response to my dance and song: "The day's not over yet." He jinxed me. We were just about to leave for lunch, purse in hand, and I had to run to the bathroom to blow chunks. Watermelon does not come up so easy. Nor does it feel good coming out of your nose. I weighed before that episode, but I am at 5 pounds less than my starting weight. Can't "weight" to break even!


Oh, I crack myself up. So corny. Anyway, here is the 18 week report from fitpregnancy.com:


"Your baby is about 5 to 5 1/2 inches long from top to tail and weighs a little more than five ounces, about the size of a lobster tail. While in earlier weeks, your baby may have been able to sense sound with her primitive ear structures, this week, the bones of the ear become fully formed along with the part of her brain that processes signals from his ears. There's still plenty of room in your uterus, so your fetus can be quite active with her new muscles. She may change positions frequently, cross her legs, recline, suck her thumb, and turn somersaults. Her retinas have become light sensitive, and your baby may be able to detect a glow if you shine bright lights at your belly (even though her eyelids are sealed)."


And here is how babycenter.com describes my changing life at 18 weeks:


"Hungry? An increase in appetite is pretty common about now. Make it count by choosing meals and snacks that are rich in nutrients instead of empty calories (chips, French fries, candy, and other sweets). Bigger, more comfortable clothes are a must now as your appetite and waistline grow.


Your cardiovascular system is undergoing dramatic changes, and during this trimester your blood pressure will probably be lower than usual. Don't spring up too fast from a lying or sitting position or you might feel a little dizzy.
From now on, when you do lie down, it's best to lie on your side — or at least partly tilted to one side. (When you lie flat on your back, your uterus can compress a major vein, leading to decreased blood return to your heart.) Try placing a pillow behind you or under your hip or upper leg for comfort."

I have been feeling pretty good overall this week. The nausea and throwing up have decreased and my energy is great. I have been exercising and cleaning and showering and eating! I can feel the baby move every single day now. I have been trying for a few days to show Jonathan where to feel, but I guess the movements just haven't been strong enough... until last night!! I was laying with my hands on my belly, and could definitely feel two big flutters with my fingers. So he laid with his hand on me, and I kept asking "Did you feel that?" "What about that one?" "That one was just my stomach growling." And finally, the baby wiggled around enough for Daddy to feel! So exciting!!

We have big plans to beach it for the weekend with the family. And surprise, surprise... I'm most looking forward to eating snow cones from my favorite little beach trailer, Frost Bites. But besides that, I'm also grateful for a weekend spent with everyone and soaking up the sun on Florida's finest beaches. Meatball is coming too, so we will have a packed house! Get ready for lots of pics on the blog!

4 comments:

  1. I love the belly pics Kait! Soooo cute!! Enjoy the beach this weekend, I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are adorable! Almost half way there, can you believe it?!

    ReplyDelete