We aren't quite ready to introduce baby food for real (even though he played with a banana over the weekend), but this transition into solids is looming over me.
First of all, I don't want to do this. I don't want him to grow up. I don't want him to become less dependent on me. I don't want the breast feeding to slow down.
Ok, part of me doesn't want those things to happen. I was just being overly dramatic. It really is so rewarding to watch him grow and learn, and I look forward to all of these new stages. I'm just trying to hang on to those little baby moments that seem to be flying by at warp speed. But at the same time, I get a little weepy.
Secondly, I just realized that I have no idea what the heck I'm doing. How much will he eat per serving? How often should he eat solids vs. nurse? Is there a certain spoon that is the best? What will his poop be like? Will i really be able to make his baby food myself? I feel like I did before I started breast feeding. Spoiler alert: it will be fine! I know I'm making it a bigger deal than it is, but all of this just dawned on me and I'm feeling ill-prepared.
Last, when will he start drinking juices and carrying around a sippy cup? And what else am I forgetting?I found a seemingly awesome website to help me out, and I can't wait to spend some time searching through it!
No one knows what they are doing at first, but you quickly learn! I love love love the website you referenced and often referred to it. Stick with the foods/ stages they suggest but I will recommend something else too...add a little flavor. Once he's mastered the food ( in a few months) try baked apples with a dash of cinnamon or something else that's new and exciting. I also say take a weekday or Saturday and make 3 or 4 things; use simple ice cube trays to freeze then store all cubes in freezer bags. So much less stressful then trying to make something every day. I would always warm up 1 or 2 cubes at a time then if he needs more, give him more. Remember your milk is still his #1 for a while so don't stress if you missed a morning food feeding.
ReplyDeleteWe did all our own baby food so please please please ask anything if you have more questions!