Search "Growing"

Monday, August 1, 2011

37 weeks



We are full term! What a sigh of relief. My braxton hicks contractions, real contractions, cramps, backaches, and pelvic pressure have picked up tremendously, and I'm spending most of my time on my exercise ball. With all of the aches and pains that come along with pregnancy, the array of pains in my stomach are all things that I am excited about (read: don't complain about) because each one is working to prep by body for labor. It's so encouraging that they are really working on my cervix (as seen by my progression in effacement). And as you can see above, Meatball is always by my side. He knows big changes are right around the corner!

I've started a weird morning routine, where I wake up really early due to overall discomfort. I find that I feel much better if I actually get out of bed, pee- of course, sit on my exercise ball, sometimes eat Tums, eat breakfast, and then get back in bed and fall asleep for a few more hours. And a plus is that I usually can do this while Jonathan is getting ready for school, so I get to spend some time with him before he starts his day.

Today, after I woke up from my "early morning nap", we went to the first of two prepared childbirth classes. For the most part, it was repeated information from things I have already read about, but it definitely bought up good points for Jonathan and I to think about. We also got a hospital tour and learned about the hospital's rules and procedures. It was a long, but informative day. I was glad I packed snacks!

Here is what babycenter.com has to say about us this week:

How Eli's growing:
"Your baby is now considered "full term," even though your due date is three weeks away. If you go into labor now, his lungs will likely be mature enough to fully adjust to life outside the womb. (Some babies need a bit more time, though. So if you're planning to have a repeat c-section, for example, your practitioner will schedule it for no earlier than 39 weeks unless there's a medical reason to intervene earlier.) Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz. See what your baby looks like this week."

How I'm changing:
"Braxton Hicks contractions may be coming more frequently now and may last longer and be more uncomfortable. You might also notice an increase in vaginal discharge. If you see some "bloody show" (mucus tinged with a tiny amount of blood) in the toilet or in your undies, labor is probably a few days away — or less. (If you have heavier spotting or bleeding, call your caregiver immediately.) Also be sure to ask your caregiver about the results of your Group B strep culture. That way, if the result isn't yet on your chart when you get to the hospital or birth center, you'll be able to give the staff there a timely heads-up if you need antibiotics. It may be harder than ever to get comfortable enough to sleep well at night. If you can, take it easy through the day — this may be your last chance to do so for quite a while. Keep monitoring your baby's movements, too, and let your caregiver know immediately if you notice a decrease. Though his quarters are getting cozy, he should still be as active as before. While you're sleeping, you're likely to have some intense dreams. Anxiety both about labor and about becoming a parent can fuel a lot of strange flights of unconscious fancy.

1 comment:

  1. I see their not comparing his weight to a vegetable or shrimp anymore.I hope your sleeping better than what the folks at babycenter.com describe. Love ya....hang in there!!!!

    ReplyDelete