Search "Growing"

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A crib update

Crib? What's that?

Our transition to the crib has stalled. No, reversed. We had a really good night with a 4 or 5 hour streak in the crib, and then we went out of town and I let him sleep with me. And he slept through the night and I needed that. So, when we returned home, I was still tired, and needed another full nights rest. So he slept with us again. And I love a good night's rest, so we became a bed sharing family again. The baby monitor was moved back into our room and I even let him nap during the day in there.

It took me a week to snap out of that habit and try to start moving him back in his room. Bed sharing is so convenient with breastfeeding, oh, and since he actually sleeps when he's in the bed, but I just do not feel 100% comfortable as far as safety goes. I love cuddling up with him and waking up to him in the mornings, but he can roll around, and he even though he doesn't do it in his sleep, I know the possibility is there. Also, Meatball and Jonathan kind of get in the way. So, it's back to the crib for Eli.

He naps in his crib just fine, so I wonder what it keeping him from sleeping in there at night? He literally will not be laid down in it. Wakes up either immediately, or about 10 minutes in. Is it too dark, even with his closet light on? Is it the cooler temperature? Am I less patient with him since I'm half asleep? I have no idea, but something has to give sooner or later.

This has been such an overwhelming habit to break. I'm kind of in it by myself, to be honest, and it's hard. It's hard to hear him get up so often crying. I don't want to spend the entire night consoling him. I'd rather be cuddling with him in my bed! Plus, Eli rarely falls asleep with Jonathan because he thinks daddy time = play time. But even if he did, I don't want to ask him to sacrifice his sleep since his school schedule is so intense.

So, right now, I'm trying to truck through and keep a consistent sleep routine, and try to work with him to keep him in his crib the entire night. He starts off in there, and sleeps from 7 until around 11. The hard part comes after that, when I'm ready for bed! I do think he's getting better, it's just up to me to keep all of this up!

No comments:

Post a Comment